Sunday, January 25, 2009

Psychological hiccup

The past week has been a real doozy.
Other than feeling so lethargic that I can't get out of bed for more than an hour at a time, I have become a totally different person.
I put the depression down to the fact that I felt incapable of looking after the kids and myself, but that doesn't explain the anger and frustration i am showing towards my family.
I broke up with Jon a few days ago and can't even work out if that's because I'm sick or because it's something that I really need to do.
I tell my kids to leave me alone all the time. I have no idea why I am so irritated by them so often. I want to be left alone, yet I want company. Maybe just someone to sit with me quietly and occasionaly make me laugh.. without expecting anything in return.
Yep I have become selfish, irrational, hostile, depressed and suicidal.
Yesterday while laying on the couch moaning at the fact that I was spending yet another day trying to gather energy to parent, clean, leave the house or anything at all, I said to Jon, there's something seriously wrong. I'm having weird thoughts and before starting this new medication, my mental state was fine.
I asked him to look up the side effects of the meds and this is what we found

Special warnings about Keppra

Especially during the first few weeks of treatment, Keppra sometimes triggers psychological problems, including psychosis, hallucinations, aggression, agitation, anger, hostility, irritability, anxiety, apathy, emotional instability, depression, and attempted suicide. These problems usually pass, but be sure to alert your doctor if you feel one developing; your doctor may have to discontinue the drug or change your dosage.

At the start of treatment, Keppra also can cause extreme drowsiness, unusual weakness, and coordination difficulties. Bring such symptoms to your doctor's attention. In a few patients, therapy must be stopped or reduced.


taken from here
http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/kep1561.htm

but also seen on many other sites.
It explains everything. All the feelings and thoughts are because of Keppra. It was actually an instant relief knowing that it's all to do with a medication and not my actual mental health. It's great because all I have to do is stop taking the pills and I will get better.
The only catch is that if i cease taking them, I risk having seizures again.
side note: I have been seizure free for 5 days
So, I tried contacting the neurologist but because it's the long weekend, I couldn't get hold of him. I then called the nurse on call line and was told to go to the emergency department straight away (by this stage a rope with me hanging off it seemed like a pretty real option for me to take).
To make a long story short, they got hold of my neuro at the hospital and he said, yeh Keppra does that!!!
WTF nice if I had of been warned...
nevertheless,I am being weaned off them and put back on Dilantin. They say it will take a week to be back to normal (I won't be fully weaned for 8 days) and i just have to keep myself alive during that time and try not to be around the children alone too much as I am very snappy and they don't need that shit.
Of course, this makes me more depressed, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and I just have to keep reminding myself of this.
OK.. I reckon a caramel sundae may assist in my recovery LOL the kids agree!!!

8 comments:

artemis-of-the-eucalypts said...

Wish I lived closer lovely. I'd sit with ya and make you laugh....or atleast bring you a posy of carrots and beetroots from my garden. hang in there huh?! xxx

Genie said...

AOTE that sounds like heaven to me
*hugs*

majikfaerie said...

hug hug hug huggity hug hug hug huggity HUG!
I'm so sorry you're going through this. hang in there mama. darn stupid meds. where do the docs get off prescribing this stuff and not warning you of the *potentially fatal* side effects???
honestly; the "attempted suicide" will "get better"??? WTF???

oh, and by the way, i'll never forgive you if you kill yourself :P

call me if you need, anytime.

Currawong said...

XXXXXXXXXXX Hugs from me too. I hope you get through the next eight days okay. Sending you cyber-laughs (not sure what they are but they are sure to make you giggle). XXXXXXXXXXXX

Genie said...

Thanks lovely wimmin *hugs* and *giggles*

MF I think I finally lost my sense of humour.. gah I must be sick!!!

hippymummy said...

Sending you lots of hugs, laughs and self loving thoughts! With an endless amount of caramel sundaes ans free delivery of any other soothing sugar fix you think could help!
Eight days is a long time when you're feeling so low but please know that there're lots of ladies out here who want to support you every iche of the way. I know it's tough but hang in there hun. As everyone else has said, if you want to chat or vent, no matter what or when and one of us'll try our best to support you. Please don'tbe alone xXx

Ariad said...

Bloody stupid drugs! Hope you start feeling better soon. Hugs and kisses
xxx

Nalin said...

The fuck is up with docs who wouldn't TELL you about something like... oh, I dunno,...just a teensy dose of SUICIDE? Oh lady you have gone through so much! Good on you for doing the research and for weaning of 'em faster. I know I'm not around the corner but if there is anything I can do for ya let me know.